Tamanu Oil is an unfamiliar organic ingredient that has slowly been on the rise in the aromatherapy and beauty world. If you are looking for something new over macadamia, grapeseed, and jojoba, this may just be your new best friend. There are many benefits that come with Tamanu Oil, making it a powerhouse for individuals looking for an ingredient that is nourishing for the skin and hair. Coming from the trees of the Pacific Islands, this extract has been used in history and is still used predominately today. It has now been a major ingredient found among creams, conditioners, hair masks, lotions, serums, shampoos and so much more. Let’s take a gander and see what Tamanu Oil is all about, its benefits, and its uses.
What Is A Carrier Extract?
Carrier extracts are sourced from the seed or nut from plants which are intended to be paired in conjunction with essential extracts for safe and correct topical use. Unlike essential extracts, carriers are seen as objective aromatherapeutic ingredients, which when paired or on their own, they have a range of advantages. Instances of carrier extracts range from sweet almond, jojoba, grapeseed, and of course, Tamanu Oil! All of these examples are perfect to use in aromatherapy and beauty products for their neutral properties. Carriers do not have an intense aroma unlike essential extracts and for this reason alone, it’s the perfect pairing ingredient to other more fragrant ingredients. There is an elevated list of benefits that come with this concoction ranging from an enhanced skin complexion, increased hair elasticity, and overall improvement of mood. Because of this incredible list of benefits, Tamanu Oil is the ideal choice to utilise in aromatherapy, haircare, skincare, and more.
What Is Tamanu Oil?
Tamanu Oil is a green extract that is created through a cold-pressing process. They are derived from a nut tree called Calophyllum Inophyllum that is characterised to flourish with green fruits that inside have a nut that is reminiscent of macadamia. This ingredient creates an emollient-like texture, making it the perfect ingredient for skincare brands. It is the perfect protective ingredient for moisturising dry skin. Not many people know about this extract however it is rising in the beauty world for its nourishing benefits. Because of this, Tamanu Oil is becoming a staple ingredient in skincare, haircare, aromatherapy, and more.
The history of Tamanu Oil dates back to the Pacific Islands centuries ago. Countries such as Fiji or Polynesia began to use the ingredient for a range of medicinal and beauty benefits. South Pacific Islands typically made treatments using the bark, leaves, and twigs of the tree. Spanning from the 1900s, it was predominately used in Fiji as a pain reliever to alleviate symptoms of conditions including leprous neuritis, sciatica, neuralgia, and shingles. In the 1930s, Tamanu Oil has been used in hospitals across Europe, Pacific Islands, and the U.S for its claimed healing properties. During the ’80s, there were several testing procedures done in America in a way to develop skin technology. With its longstanding history, Tamanu Oil is now a rising aromatherapy and beauty product used in a variety of American and European cosmetics.
What Are The Benefits?
Tamanu Oil is underrated for its moisturising and hydrating properties, making it the prime choice for skincare products. As it has an abundance of essential fatty acids, it is a great barrier to apply on dry skin. This extract has the ability to enhance skin complexion, alleviating the appearance of aging or scarring. Tamanu Oil can help add a good dose of collagen into the skin to prevent signs of wrinkles, spots, and fine lines. You can help keep your skin protected against the sun, as a good addition to your sunscreen. For those with sensitive skin issues such as acne, eczema, or psoriasis, you could largely benefit by having this extract in your skincare regime. With its incredible history of being able to showcase skin that’s healthy and hydrated, it’s no wonder why Tamanu Oil is still used today. It’s important to remember that every skin type is different therefore it’s highly important to do a patch test prior to use in order to prevent any adverse reactions.
Despite its list of skin rejuvenating properties, Tamanu Oil is the ideal choice for hair care use. This extract is used in a variety of hair treatments in order to alleviate the appearance of dry and brittle follicles. It can also work to treat the scalp, reducing symptoms of dandruff and flaking. Because of its inclusion of calophyllolide, coumarins, and lactone, you can see here why it is incredibly nourishing to add to your hair care routine. You can therefore find this ingredient in a lot of hair care products spanning from pre-shampoo, hair masks, deep conditioning, and styling. For those experiencing an itchy and dry scalp, simply knead the extract into your scalp to promote healthy roots for your hair. Tamanu Oil is known as the triple threat of haircare capable of invigorating hair growth, shine, scalp inflammation, and more.
- 3 tablespoons of Tamanu Oil
- 2 tablespoons of Rosehip Extract
- 1 teaspoon of Vitamin E Extract
- 5 drops of Frankincense Extract
- 5 drops of Helichrysum Extract
- Small Glass Mason Jar
- Mix Tamanu Oil and the other extracts together into a small glass mason jar.
- Combine using a spoon or stirring rod.
- After combining, you can pop it in the fridge or leave it at room temperature to use for your nighttime skincare routine.
- During your nighttime skincare routine, you can do your regime as normal and at the very end add in the serum to lock in the moisture.
- Simply tap in the serum to apply the product.
- For puffy eyes, circulate the serum gently using your ring finger.
Hair Growth Treatment
- 2 tablespoons of Tamanu Oil
- 2 tablespoons of Jamaican Black Castor Extract
- 1 tablespoon of Coconut Extract
- 6 drops of Lavender Extract
- 4 drops of Geranium Extract
- 4 drops of Thyme Extract
- 2 drops of Cedarwood Extract
- 2 drops of Rosemary Extract
- Hair Applicator Bottle
- Combine Tamanu Oil and all the other ingredients into a hair applicator bottle.
- Shake well to mix all the ingredients together.
- You can use the treatment as a pre-shampoo or for your nighttime routine.
- Simply apply it to your scalp and massage.
- After the massage, you can leave it overnight or apply it before your shower for silky smooth hair.
- 30 mL of Tamanu Oil
- 30 mL of Yellow Beeswax Beads
- 30 mL of Cocoa Butter
- 5 drops of Lavender Oil
- 5 drops of Bergamot Extract
- 1-2 Teaspoon of Vitamin E Extract
- Glass Mason Jar
- Combine Tamanu Oil and all the other ingredients using the double boiling method.
- Melt the avocado, beeswax, cocoa butter, coconut, Tamanu Oil, in a bowl on top of the stove.
- After it melts, simply stir the mixture in with Vitamin E, Lavender, and Bergamot extract.
- Mix thoroughly until all blended.
- Pour into glass mass jars.
- Cool the mixture down before covering.
- Once cool, you can simply apply the mixture onto your foot to restore cracked and dry heels.