While driving any vehicle on the road, there are multiple rules that the driver has to follow. If the driver does not follow the rules, he would be liable to pay certain fines and penalties. Earlier, to pay for these penalties, drivers needed to wait in long queues, however, with the advent of e challan, now anyone liable to pay a penalty for breaking traffic rules can pay the fine online. This article will help you understand everything you need to know about checking e challan status and also related details.
What is an e challan?
Earlier when someone used to break traffic rules, they were issued a challan and an e challan is nothing but an electronic form of the same. Earlier, traffic guards and police used to issue pen and paper challan, which has now been fully computerized, and whenever there is a traffic violation that is caught in the CCTVs of the traffic surveillance, you get an e challan on your registered mobile or email id.
E-challan was introduced to increase the efficiency of the government’s transport department and also help them save their expenses on the same.
Even for the vehicle owners and drivers, it is easy to check e challan status and pay the fine without standing in long queues and waiting for days.
How to check the e challan status in 5 steps online?
Once a vehicle owner receives the SMS, they can check the e challan online. To check the e challan status, you need to follow these steps-
- Firstly you have to visit the website of echallan.parivahan.gov.in
- Once the official page opens on your device’s screen, you have to click on the ‘Check Online Services’ tab
- You will find a drop-down menu there and you have to click on the ‘e challan’ option there. Once you click on it, you will get redirected to another page
- To check the e challan status online, you have to enter either the challan number or your vehicle/DL number. These can be found in the SMS you have received for the violation of the traffic rules
- Finally, you have to enter the captcha mentioned on the screen, and you have to select the option ‘ Get details’. Your challan details will be on the screen and check them and the e challan status as well.
Once you have checked the status, you also need to pay for the same.
How to pay e challan easily?
Once you have checked the e challan status, you can make the payment following the steps below-
- On the page of the details of e challan, you will find the option to make payment, you need to click on the same.
- Again you will have to enter a Captcha code
- Then you will see the payment options – you can use your debit or credit card for payment and also some UPI payment options are made available nowadays
- Once you make the payment, an SMS will be sent to the registered mobile number with the vehicle on which the traffic violation SMS was sent. This SMS will confirm the receipt of the payment by the transport department.
How does the system of e challan work in India?
The e challan system involves CCTV footage, traffic police department, Regional Transport Office (RTO), and registered phone number. If you have noticed there are CCTVs installed almost at every crossing, which are recording the movement of vehicles all the time. Now with the help of technology, when some vehicle driver violates any traffic rule, CCTV captures the image of the vehicle.
Now, the traffic police department tries to identify the vehicle number from the number plate. Then they record and register the offence and then coordinate with the RTO to find the details of the vehicle and the owner. Once the details are fetched from the RTO, the transport department sends an SMS on the registered phone number of the vehicle’s owner which will have the time, date, and location of the violation.
How to register a complaint against e challan?
Suppose you are not happy with the process of checking e challan status online or making payment, you can lodge a complaint. All you have to do is to –
- Visit the same website parivahan.gov.in
- On the top right corner of the website homepage, you will find the tab for ‘complaints’, click on the same.
- You will see a grievance form being displayed on the screen, enter the details asked in the form
- Then submit the form, and your complaint will be Make sure to note down the Complaint number.
How can you prevent the issuance of an e challan?
Prevention is better than cure as you all know, and thus, it is better to avoid issuance of e challan rather than checking and paying the fines, isn’t it? Most traffic violation cases can be avoided if drivers and vehicle owners follow the traffic rules and regulations and follow safety measures while driving any vehicle.
The most common instances why an e challan is issued are:
- Do not jump traffic signals. Stop at the yellow lights so that you are not fined for jumping the lights.
- Keep all your documents updated and handy such as your driving license, vehicle’s RC, pollution under control certificate, insurance and tax papers along with the vehicle’s fitness certificate. You can choose to download the DigiLocker and keep a soft copy of all these documents instead of carrying them physically. All documents stored in DigiLocker are considered to be original by the police.
- Wear seat belts, helmets, etc. as and when necessary.
- Do not drive/ ride in a no-entry lane or enter the wrong way in a one-way lane.
- Do not talk/ text while driving.
- Drinking and driving are strictly prohibited and are punishable under the law.
In case you do get a physical or an e challan, do not argue with the policemen. They are doing their duty for our safety and it is best to cooperate with them so that you do not repeat the same mistake again.
With the introduction of e challan, it has not only become easier for the traffic department to find the traffic rule violators but also made it easier for the violators to check e challan status and pay the fines. It has also reduced the number of traffic rule violations and reduced harassment by traffic guards.